Integrated behavioral health is a rapidly growing field in mental health and to date there are limited training resources on this topic. The AIMS Center has developed a clinical rotation curriculum that introduces a senior resident to the role of the Psychiatric Consultant in a Collaborative Care team.
STRUCTURE OF THE CLINICAL ROTATION
Collaborative Care teams consists of a care manager embedded in a primary care setting (usually MSW or other Behavioral Health Care Manager), the primary care provider (both the source of referrals and the prescriber of any medications), and a Psychiatric Consultant (provides weekly case load supervision and individual case reviews of four to six patients weekly). During this clinical rotation, the resident works directly with a Psychiatric Consultant to participate in a one-to-two-hour consultation with a Behavioral Health Care Manager, receives a one-to-two-hour supervision with the attending, and may participate in interdisciplinary care team meetings.
To support the clinical rotation, we have designed a set of six modules to cover the fundamentals necessary to assume the role of a Psychiatric Consultant on a Collaborative Care team. This content trains a psychiatrist to function in any role at the interface of primary care and mental health and may be useful in programs even where a Collaborative Care setting isn’t available.
OVERVIEW OF ENTIRE SERIES: Collaborative Care Consultation Psychiatry: A Clinical Rotation Curriculum for Psychiatry Residents
Module 1: Psychiatry Resident Training: Introduction to Collaborative Care
- Module 1: Introduction to Collaborative Care Slide Handouts
- Module 1: Introduction to Collaborative Care Overview
Module 2: Psychiatry Resident Training: Introduction to MHIP
Module 3: Psychiatry Resident Training: Collaborative Care Teams
Module 4: Psychiatry Resident Training: Case Finding, Differential Diagnosis and Case Formulation
- Module 4: Case Finding, Differential Diagnosis and Case Formulation Slide Handouts
- Module 4: Case Finding, Differential Diagnosis and Case Formulation Overview
Module 5: Psychiatry Resident Training: Making Recommendations and Treating to Target
- Module 5: Making Recommendations and Treatment to Target Slide Handouts
- Module 5: Making Recommendations and Treatment to Target Overview
Module 6: Psychiatry Resident Training: Team Building, Workflows, and Quality Improvement
- Module 6: Team Building, Workflow, and Quality Improvement Slide Handouts
- Module 6: Team Building, Workflow, and Quality Improvement Overview
Medicaid and Collaborative Care for SUD: Read a white paper outlining CoCM’s potential to improve substance use disorder outcomes, and the benefits of widespread Medicaid coverage. Medicaid & Collaborative Care for Substance Use Disorder & Mental Health